When streaming over a connection with low bandwidth we need to compress and resize (=transcode) the video while streaming. Tvheadend provides us with options for that but only in the "build it yourself"-version available on Github and not the one available in the Apt repositories.
If you don't care about transcoding check this tutorial for the Apt repositories version.
- Get the Tvheadend sourcecode:
git clone https://github.com/tvheadend/tvheadend.git
- Enable transcoding:
cd tvheadend nano src/plumbing/transcoding.c
Press Ctrl+w then type
transcoding_enabledand press Enter. Set it to 1.
- Install the dependancies: [src]
sudo apt-get install build-essential git pkg-config libssl-dev bzip2 wget
- Install the recommended additional packages: [src]
sudo apt-get install libavahi-client-dev zlib1g-dev libavcodec-dev libavutil-dev libavformat-dev libswscale-dev
- Install Tvheadend:
sudo ./configure sudo make && sudo make install
Set up Tvheadend
- Start Tvheadend in configuration mode. This means everyone who can reach the webfrontend (including you) has administrative capabilities:
- Open the webfrontend e.g. raspberrypi:9981/.
- Set your default language:
Configuration -> General
Select your language then hit Save.
- Set up the DVB-S network:
Configuration -> DVB-Inputs -> Networks
Addthen enter a title and select your
Astra_19_2E- play around if you don't know).
- Now go to
Configuration -> DVB-Inputs -> TV adapters, expand all folders and select the inner most item. Then on the right under
Networkselect the network you previously set up. Hit save.
- Enable the DVB-S device:
Configuration -> DVB-Inputs -> TV adapters
Open the folder directly beneath the one with the name of your DVB-S device. (If you cannot expand the folder unplug/plug your DVB device) and check
Enabled. Hit save.
- Now it takes a while until Tvheadend scans all the available channels. Check your terminal/the syslog area at the bottom or the
Configuration -> DVB-Inputs -> Muxesarea to see whats going on.
- When satisfied select the TV channels that should be available here:
Configuration -> DVB Inputs -> TV Adapters -> General -> Services
Best order the list by
Highlight the channels you want and click
When done selecting click
- Go to the
Electronic Programm Guide. There are your channels! Note the
Watch TVin the top right.